Welcome

Welcome to Velper Self Improvment. This is a place where you will be able to develop yourself. Feel free to browse and look at the articles.

Monday 7 January 2013

How Much Time Do You Make For Yourself?


Do you have a certain routine (daily preferably) or “escape” each day that’s for you and you alone?  If you don’t, it may be the very thing missing from your life.
At least 5 days a week, I retreat to the bathroom for a little “girly” escape. I put on a facial mask soak my feet in the tub, then follow it up with a foot scrub treatment, finishing off with great smelling lotion. After I take off the facial mask, I do or re-do my nails if they need it. Then I’ll finish the retreat off with a chapter from the Agatha Christie novel I’m reading at the time.
One of the quirkiest of the quirky things about me is that I am ALWAYS in the middle of an Agatha Christie mystery.  Even if it means going back and reading one I’d read years ago.  What can I say, I’m obsessed with Agatha Christie.
It may sound crazy to some people but the mini-retreat does me a lot of good and I mean A LOT. Fortunately, I work from home, so when I’ve reached a certain  point in my day when I could use a little relaxation, I minimize all of the windows on my computer, grab my coffee and iced tea (naturally I have both going at all times – another quirk or am I not alone in this one?), and off I head for the back of the house… followed immediately by my cat Alexa who enjoys a good retreat, herself.
More than anything, these precious few minutes I steal away from the day recharge me.  No matter how I felt immediately before the mini retreat… when I return to my computer, work, and the real world, I feel (and smell!) a world better.  I guess you could say it puts me in a better place.  In fact, I find that my thinking is even clearer after I return to my work. My creativity flows more graciously and I’m able to get things done in no time at all.
Like I said, it recharges me!
A lot of times I’ll hear from people who say they feel as though they’re hanging on by a thread.  Whether it’s stress, anxiety, or the blues – life appears to be serving them more than their plate can hold. Inevitably, I’ll ask them what they do to take time for themselves.  Just one short “get away” each day could make all the difference in the world.
How about you? What do you do each day to take a little time for yourself and recharge your own batteries?

0 comments:

Post a Comment